Utility Person (Grade 8)
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB's St. Louis Stamping Facility is looking to hire a Utility Person (G8).
Pay Range is: $19.61 - $24.87 per hour
2nd shift differential .40 cents per hour
3rd shift differential .80 cents per hour
Immediate Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Ability to understand and follow all ABB safety policies, safety training and hazard communication information. This includes but is not limited to wearing proper personal protective equipment (PPE) such as: hard hat, face shield, safety glasses, hearing protection, safety shoes, proper gloves and safety sleeves when required.
- Lift and or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently grip with hands, turn, push, and bend, along with occasional reaching above shoulder level, and pulling.
- Ability to walk and/or stand for long periods of time and to keep up with the demanding pace of production.
- Possess the dexterity and hand-eye coordination to utilize various hand tools, power tools, and other equipment to complete a variety of complex task. Equipment includes but is not limited to: overhead cranes, electric chain hoists, pneumatic tools, hydraulic lift tables, electric and manual pallet jacks, and controls with knobs and buttons. The employee must also have the ability to set-up and operate slitting line equipment.
- Ability to comprehend and follow both written and verbal instructions. Ability to read, write, use a calculator, and a computer and inspect slitting line tooling. Must also have the ability to operate, read, and interpret precision measuring equipment such as calipers, micrometers and dial indicators.
- Ability to maintain regular work attendance, including arriving at work on time and remaining at work until the end of the schedule’s workday.
- Ability to work daily and weekend overtime, including overtime on short notice.
- Will be required to read Production Schedule and In-process Sheet.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Will operate various controls to run slitter safely.
- Must know where all emergency shut offs related to the job are located.
- Will operate Overhead and Jib Crane, hoist, computer for labels, and scanners to receive and issue coils.
- Will operate hoist to assist Crane Operator in unloading coils from turnstile as needed to keep slitter running.
- Will be required to operate Coil Cart to load master coils on un-coiler.
- Must learn different mults for head set-ups.
- Will be required to build multiple head set-ups and set up re-coiler to match the set-ups.
- Will be required to use various measuring equipment to measure slit widths, material thickness and burrs to meet Quality tolerances.
- Must know what is required to slit Quality coils.
- Will use computer to look up and enter inventory information, print tags and production schedule.
- Must communicate with partner, crane operators and Supervisor on duty.
- Will tape coils and identify coils for movement and inventory.
- Must push coils off re-coiler onto the turnstile.
- Are required to wear Kevlar sleeves anytime you handle or work around strips of iron.
- Must perform daily clean up at end of the shift.
- Manual lifting requirements up to 50 pounds
- Operator will be trained on all steps of the job.
- Operator will be trained on operating electric pallet truck.
- Must know where Emergency Stops are located for the press you are running.
- Must check Emergency Stops and light curtains to be working properly.
- Die setter will inform the operator of tools needed to run the job.
- If parts need to be wired the operator will use an air wire twister.
- The process sheet has information the operator will need before running the scheduled job such as part number, type of material and the type of lubrication if different from what is normally used.
- Operator will be instructed on type of container to place parts in or on.
- Must match the coil number on the coil tag with the coil number on the process sheet.
- Match the print number with the part number on the process sheet.
- Operator must fill out operator section of QFSP-0004, (which is an operator/die setter production form) at the end of each job assigned to.
- Safely use the C-hook, safety chain, sling or hoist to load the coil on the dereeler.
- Next you will be trained on how to feed the material through the straightener, feeder and up to the starting point in the die and slowly inch the material through the die.
- Always inspect a part before running on continuous.
- At the end of the die run the operator will turn off the press, dereeler, straightner and the feeder.
- Once the flywheel has stopped the operator will remove the end coil strip out of the die and save it to be sent to Tool Room with the die, then wipe all the oil off of the die and clean area thoroughly and empty scrap pans.
- When not scheduled to run the Auto Presses, you will run Single Stroke Presses.
- Employee will be required to read Work Order and Production Schedule and match coil tag to Work Order.
- Will operate Overhead and Jib Crane, hoist, electric material hand truck (Big Foot), computer for printing labels and scanner to receive and issue coils.
- Overhead crane will hold the coil cradle and is used to move racks of slit coils from slit line to locations or to presses from locations, etc.
- Jib Crane is used to move master coils to coil car at slit line and to unload master coils off the trucks.
- Will operate hoist to unload slit coils from turnstile at slit line.
- Operator will place inventory tags and write information on slit coils.
- Will operate electric material hand truck (Big Foot) to move racks of material from one side of Lamination Dept. to the other side.
- The scanner is used to scan material in and out of locations for inventory purposes and must be done correctly.
- Will enter information into the computer for inventory purposes and printing coil tags.
- Must be able to identify different types of material and read some measuring devices.
- Will be required to communicate with slit line operators, supervisor, auto press operators, die setters and material handlers, etc.
- Will assist in putting racks away and unloading arms or trucks as needed.
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.