Senior Field Engineer
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
In this role, you will execute medium-to-high-complexity service work – installation, commissioning, maintenance, upgrades and retrofits – according to work instructions and in accordance with ABB processes, standards and safety guidelines.
Reporting to the Service Team Leader, need to execute medium to high complex service work according to work instructions and in accordance with the ABB standard processes, quality standards and safety guidelines. Deliver excellent customer service to satisfy customers. In close co-operation with customer and other ABB teams, take actions to identify new Service business opportunities for ABB.
- Provide a deliverable paralleling switchgear system that can perform the following modes of operation: Open Transition, Closed Transition, Peak Shave, Load Shed, Load Add, Balance of Plant
- Lead site deliverables for the customer, maintain a schedule, document changes in scope, document site delays, and interface with Project Manager
- Leadership of a site commissioning team that consists of switchgear engineers, power deliver field engineers, generator technicians and electrical contractors
- Maintain interface with product engineering team for project scope, system sequence of operation, and field modifications
- Completion of project and daily reports consisting of short duration safety plans, field service reports, redlines, and method of procedure
- Completion and compliance to all safety requirements
- Ability to travel at least 80% of the time
- BSEE is preferred with minimum 5 years experience in Field and Technical Training can be accepted in lieu of degree.
- PLC programming and interface to Paralleling Switchgear Design.
- PLC, RTU, DCS, and Computer controlled SCADA systems with a focus on Power Delivery equipment and Paralleling Switchgear Operations. Mandatory understanding of Power Delivery equipment as it pertains to data center and healthcare application.
- SCADA, HMI, or GUI (all are operator interfaces) mostly developed around Cimplicity, WonderWare, iFix (Proficiency), Citect, and RSView applications. The ability to create the graphic interface the customer uses to operate and manage the system.
- Fundamental understanding of hardware network design and various communication protocols such as ControlNet, Modbus, Profinet, etc. This involves polling or extracting information out of the field devices.
- Ability to interpret the Protective Relay settings in relationship to the system.
- Deep understanding of Distribute Energy Resources (diesel generator, steam/gas turbines, solar, wind, hydro, and battery storage systems that can island or operate in parallel with the utility grid is helpful.
- Knowledge of synchronization hardware such as Woodward Governor is essential.
- Ability to read and understand system onelines, power three lines and equipment control and layout drawings.
- Operation, controls and testing of all aspects of low voltage and medium voltage switchgear.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Ability to travel within & outside assigned territory, including overnight stays – up to 80%.
- Ability to obtain & maintain a driver's license
- Ability to obtain & maintain a passport
- Ability to work within & outside geographic territory
- Must be willing to support consecutive work assignments and sometimes with short notice (<24 hours)
- Ability to obtain & maintain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential Card (TWIC)
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time (4+ hours)
- Must be able to work extended shifts, when needed (8+ Hours)
- Must be able to pass a respirator fit test (medically fit & meet facial hair requirements)
- Ability to work in extreme temperatures (80 degrees)
- Ability to work in work in heights (12’+ heights)
- Must be able work in loud environments (noise from machinery, equipment)
- Must be able to wear required PPE for a long period of time (4+ Hours)
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
More about us
ABB's Distribution Solutions Division provides utility, industrial and commercial customers with safe, smart and sustainable technologies for the distribution of electricity. With ABB AbilityTM enabled digital solutions at its core, our extensive portfolio includes distribution automation products, switching, limiting, measuring and sensing devices, switchgear, modular substation packages, and related services.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
ABB in the United States requires employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or in specific and limited circumstances, be approved for a sincerely held religious belief or a medical/disability accommodation.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to [Click Here to Email Your Resumé]. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.