Location: San Diego, CA 92121
Hours: Monday - Friday 8am - 430pm
Pay: $25 - $35/hr
The Buyer position is responsible for procurement activities of electronic components, metals, fabricated parts, and assemblies to support manufacturing of programmable power supplies in a high-mix environment. Ensures materials are delivered on time and to schedule and within the guidelines of company supply chain strategies.
Roles & Responsibilities
This position has responsibility for:
- Performs complex purchasing activities including pricing, volume discounts, negotiating terms and long-term contracts with suppliers, and delivery of goods/services to support build plans, forecast.
- Actively participate and drive-in efforts to lower inventory and drive down material costs.
- Negotiates best terms (price, delivery, and payment terms) with suppliers, while maintaining efficient output of purchase orders to reach highest quality at best value.
- Challenge and influence non-conforming and/or underperforming Suppliers.
- Direct the disposition of any and all issues impeding the flow of materials required to meet business demands.
- Determine optimal supply chain strategy at a tactical level for all parts.
- Establish optimal supplier base working through the Commodity Managers.
- Establish optimal supply chain arrangement for each and every component requirement.
- Interpret MRP output and place purchase orders.
- Implement supply chain strategy through Warehousing and Planning at the part number level of detail.
- Respond to daily shortage report.
- Purchase order administration and follow-up.
- Process supplier returns and replacements.
- Assist Accounts Payable in resolving related issues
- Complete tasks and special projects as assigned
In order to perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Working with ambiguity - Achieves forward progress in the face of poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; able to work effectively with limited or partial information
- Critical thinking - Skilled at finding logical flaws in arguments and plans; identifies problems and solutions that others might miss; provides detailed insight and constructive criticism into problems and complex situations
- Drive for results - Aggressively pursues challenging goals and objectives; will to put in considerable time and effort to accomplish objectives; takes a highly focused, goal driven approach toward work
- Making Accurate Judgments and Decisions - Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
Minimum Qualifications (Experience and Skills)
- 3+ years of increasing experience with a proven record of executing the tactical and strategic duties of the Purchasing function in electronics manufacturing
- Proven track record for executing a visual replenishment (two-bin) system fed from a bonded inventory at supplier location
- Aptitude in decision making and working with numbers
- Proficient in MS Office and MRP; Navision, Oracle or ManMan knowledge a plus
- Strong negotiation skills with a track record of success
- Ability to create and maintain relationships with key suppliers
- Excellent communication skills: verbal communication, presentations, and business writing
- Relevant Supply Chain certifications (CPSM, CPIM, SPSM, CSCP)
- Bachelor's Degree in Supply Chain, Business Administration, Logistics or related field preferred
We are an equal opportunity employer and make hiring decisions based on merit. Recruitment, hiring, training, and job assignments are made without regard to race, color, national origin, age, ancestry, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, or any other protected classification. We consider all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local laws, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.